Psychic self-defense is protecting your aura, or energy field, from the negative effects of outside influences. This week’s oracle card reading touched on our sensitivity to others and our need to protect ourselves from negativity. It gave a simple ritual for cleansing ourselves from negativity we have absorbed.
This is a topic I see brought up frequently–by both beginners and those who have been on the spiritual path for some time–so I thought we could go a little deeper. Psychic self-defense is the basic foundation that needs to be laid while navigating our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual worlds. It’s something that needs to be tended to on a daily basis.
Who needs psychic self-defense?
Usually this topic is explored in relation to empaths. Empaths are people who are easily attuned to other people’s energy. It is natural for them to feel the emotions of others. They can sense fear, depression, anxiety, anger, and other negative emotions from the people they come in contact with. They absorb the energy around them, and often times, mistake it for their own. Negative environments or being exposed to negative energy will drain them and can make them feel ill. As well, empaths are affected by positive energy. The spiritual gift of being an Empath is useful for discerning energy and helping others, yet we need to be protected.
However, empaths aren’t the only people who need psychic self-defense. Everyone is exposed to and influenced by the different vibrations of energy in our world. Psychic self-defense may be especially important for you if you are:
- a healer, psychotherapist, or otherwise work in the medical field
- in the business world
- involved in welfare work
- on the psychic or mystic path
- subjected to advertising or sales pressures from our consumption-oriented society
- affected by physical or psychological illness
When people haven’t learned to utilize their own energy or life force for their well-being, they resort to power struggles, or seeking additional energy from others. They have learned these maladaptive behaviors as ways to cope with issues that usually began in the family, during childhood. This can leave the person they have interacted with feeling drained and manipulated, if they aren’t using psychic self-defense. These exchanges of energy are almost always unconscious. James Redfield, in his book, “The Celestine Vision”, called these distorted interactions with others ‘control dramas’, and outlined the different types:
THE POOR ME (aka THE VICTIM)
This person seeks attention through the manipulation of sympathy. They receive a boost in energy when they throw us off balance by creating a feeling of guilt or doubt on our part. Consider whether or not their situation deserves our sympathy and to what extent we are able to help them. Unfortunately, the victim mentality actually attracts the abusive situations the person is afraid of. The Universe responds by producing the exact kind of world we expect, so the victim mentality becomes self-validating.
This is the person we can’t get a straight answer from. They are distant, detached, and cryptic in their responses. This person forces us to pour our energy into trying to dig further for more information that’s normally shared in a casual manner. You need to decide if this person genuinely wants their privacy respected or if they are using this as a form of manipulation to lure you in.
In the presence of the Interrogator, you will feel like you are always being monitored. You may be made to feel inadequate, or unable to handle your own life. The Interrogator feels most people are making huge mistakes in their lives and he must correct the situation. In this insecure void of energy, the Interrogator gains energy by pointing out errors, criticizing, and forcing you to adopt their opinions. There are ways to intervene when you encounter someone making choices that may not be in their best interest without undermining their confidence.
The most aggressive of the control dramas, you can tell when you’ve entered their energy field when you not only feel drained, uncomfortable, but also unsafe, or in danger. The Intimidator may say or do things that lead you to believe they will erupt in rage or violence. They win our energy by forcing us to give them our attention because we feel threatened.
DEALING WITH PSYCHIC VAMPIRES:
Send them energy from your higher self; divine, loving energy, rather than depleting your personal reserves. Next, lay the game they are playing on the table and make them conscious of what they are doing. Hopefully, through discussion, they will become more self-aware. Caution is to be taken when dealing with the Intimidator. Because of the obvious danger, in most cases, it’s best to remove yourself from their presence. If you’re in a long-term relationship with an Intimidator, seek professional help.
Simple Tips for Psychic Self-Defense:
- Envision yourself surrounded by Divine white light: This bubble will protect your energy field from outside influences. You can add golden light, as well, for extra power.
- Get Grounded: Standing barefoot on the earth or laying on the ground is a good way to connect to the Earth’s energies for support and to stay centered. This can be done as a visualization, as well.
- Spend time in nature: Being in a natural environment will boost your energy.
- Live a healthy lifestyle: Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat nutrient rich foods, exercise, and get enough rest to keep your energy up.
- Salt: Epsom salt baths are perfect for cleansing and protecting your aura. You can also use kosher or sea salt around your doorways and windows, or around your bed if you experience nighttime psychic attacks. Himalayan salt lamps are great to have, as well!
- Sage: Smudging your home, car, office, and auric field releases negative energy.
- Find your ‘Home Center’: Through cleansing your energy centers and self-awareness through meditation, you will be able to recognize your personal frequency. Whenever you’re surrounded by negativity, you can center yourself in your home frequency, resisting the urge to be affected by the negativity around you.
- Personal space: Don’t hesitate to set boundaries with people and make sure you take time to recharge your batteries.
- What makes you happy?: Music, art, dancing, laughter…Increase your energy by finding what brings you joy.
- Mirrors: Visualize yourself surrounded by mirrors facing outwards to bounce back the negativity to its source. If there’s someone in particular purposefully harming you, you can visualize them surrounded by mirrors facing inward. Whatever negative energy they send out, will be reflected back to them, and they will have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Don’t underestimate how powerful this visualization is!
- Crystals: Black Tourmaline, Amber, Amethyst, Pink Kunzite, Rose Quartz, and Quartz
- Essential oils: Angelica, Lemongrass, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Basil, Cypress, Frankincense, Rose, Geranium, Spikenard, Lotus
- Connect with the Divine: Prayer, positive affirmations, meditation, yoga, magick. You can call upon Archangel Michael for he is the protector of humanity.
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Additional resources, experiences, or suggestions for protecting ourselves from negative energy and staying positive is welcomed!